The purpose of this page is to provide a one-stop portal for all things standards-based grading (SBG).
Suggestions and submissions for this page may be sent to Matt Townsley.
- What does the research say about standards-based grading? [Townsley & Buckmiller white paper]
- A comprehensive list of scholarly standards-based grading articles [Frequently updated]
- Show me the numbers! Standards-based grading quantitative research
Three Big SBG Shifts
- Reporting learning rather than tasks
- A mastery mindset
- Repurposing homework and checks for understanding as ungraded practice
- NEW! A comprehensive list of standards-based grading books [Frequently updated]
- Top 10 standards-based grading books (pre-2016)
- Top 5 standards-based grading books (2016-2018)
- Top 10 standards-based grading articles (pre-2016)
- Top 10 standards-based grading articles (2016, 2017, & 2018)
- Top 5 standards-based grading articles (2019)
- Standards-Based Grading videos [Click on “discipline-specific” to see voice over videos of practitioners explaining their SBG implementation]
- Des Moines Public Schools (Iowa) grading page (including video testimonials from teachers)
- Sample secondary standards-based grading guidelines
- Sample elementary standards-based report cards
- Sample middle school standards-based report card
- Secondary SBG in Iowa (searchable database)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is standards-based grading?
- If homework does not count towards the final grade in SBG, will students still complete it?
- How do teachers determine letter grades and GPAs from standards?
- What are the similarities and differences between standards-based grading (SBG) and competency-based education (CBE)?
- Do high school students experiencing SBG receive a fair shot at college/university admissions?
- What does reassessment look like in SBG without going crazy?
- Help me with reassessment! (Reassessment in SBG FAQ)
- What are some of the pitfalls to avoid when implementing standards-based grading?